Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Culture Month

First, I decided to make this blog my main blog. It is not just about knitting anymore! Oh no!

This month is Culture Month: so much music and dancing and Christmas!

Some friends and I bought a four-pack of tickets to this season of the Metropolitan Opera in NYC. (The first was Verdi's La Traviata, on October 31st.) On Friday, we had our second opera of the season: Wagner's Tristan und Isolde. We dressed up, ate sandwiches on the train, shoved our way onto the subway, and literally ran into Lincoln Center ten minutes before showtime. We settled into our (close, but uncomfortable) dress circle box seats, watched the crystal chandeliers rise, and enjoyed the five hours of amazing opera. Okay, okay--honestly, it was four hours, with two 30-minute intermissions. And okay fine, I perhaps might have maybe slept soundly for a total of 30-45 minutes. But we practiced our German, empathized with Tristan as he took 1.5 hours to die, and got a lot of use out of my beautiful new opera glasses! They are from the Paris opera, made in 1907. Thank you, Uncle Jimmy! :D

My next cultural event was Sunday, when I attended McCarter Theater's A Christmas Carol. (For free! Yeah Princeton!) Ah! It was anything but a humbug. Great acting, intricate sets (great use of fire), and an extremely good looking young Mr. Scrooge.

Sunday was not over! Oh no! Sunday evening, we supported Luc in his choir concert. He's in the Westminster Choir College community choir. Meg, Josh, and I made faces at him and applauded heartily as they sang in English, Latin, German Latin, Latvian, Ukrainian, French, and...was that all? They sang one of my all time favorites: Carol of the Bells!

Next up: Thursday--The Nutcracker at the NYC Ballet in Lincoln Center and a walk around Rockefeller to see the tree for Rachel's birthday.

Saturday--I FLY HOME FOR THE HOLIDAYS! :D

In the mean time: I am so very, very close to finishing my Christmas knitting! I knit an entire sock this evening, cast on to cast off! Yes!

No comments: