Sunday, October 10, 2010

Autumn Weekend

Let's pause and take a deep breath. The air's crisp, cool, and fresh. And vaguely tinged with nutmeg, cloves, ginger, and cinnamon. It must be FALL!!!!

I had one of my favorite kinds of weekends. Possibly my most favorite. I barely left my apartment.

Except for Saturday morning, when I ran sixteen miles. (I've said it before and I'll say it again: I adore cool weather running.)

And Sunday morning, when I went to church, Wegman's, Target, and Starbucks. It was a triple grande nonfat no-whip PSL kind of day.

pumpkinspice_and_everythingnice.jpg

But other than THAT, I stayed HOME. With my CAT.

And America's Next Top Model. YouTube is both a blessing and a curse-of-a-time-sinkhole.

In between ANTM marathon sessions, I managed to clean my apartment, sort 25% of my wardrobe into "wear", "keep for next season", "modify?", and "goodness have we really kept you that long??" piles, and cook up a STORM.

My farm share this summer has been genius. I've eaten a boatload of veggies and learned how to cook many new things! The fall crop has been a bit overwhelming: almost more squash, eggplant, arugula, and pumpkin than I can handle. Some make a beautiful centerpiece:

Centerpiece

Sunday afternoon, I hacked open a pumpkin:

Clean out that pumpkin!

Cleaned the seeds:
Drying seeds


Baked the pumpkin:
Baking pumpkins

Decorated the cat:
Squash the cat

Roasted the seeds with cayenne pepper:
roasted seeds!

Pureed the pumpkin:
Making puree
Finished puree

And baked pumpkin bread:

Finished Pumpkin Bread

Here's another obligatory picture of Faraday:
Silly kitty

I also used my six cups of arugula and made pesto!
Arugula-sesame-honey pesto

I only had enough Parmesan cheese for 1/3 of the arugula, so I experimented and added sesame seeds and Israeli date honey to the last 2/3. The honey cuts the arugula's bitterness and is quite tasty. I froze about half and plan to eat the other half this week.

My baby food processor deserves break now.

Other farm veggies consumed this weekend: tomatoes, radicchio, and lettuce in a beautiful salad, and kale, blended into my signature post-run smoothie and broiled into kale chips.

To consume this week: more tomatoes, radicchio, kale, carrots, broccoli, squash, and another pumpkin. :)

No comments: