Monday, October 3, 2011

Backen auf Deutsch, Part XI: #57 Mokka-Cupcakes

While I have momentum and a month-long fast from Netflix, LET US BLOG MORE. Let us do.

...why the fast? Let's just say that after watching all of Star Trek (TOS) in under three months, I need a break.

So, for July birthdays at lab, I baked two batches of cupcakes. One batch was the Schoko-Kirsch-Cupcakes mit Buttercreme cupcake from Cupcakes & Muffins, another German cookbook of mine. All I remember of the baking experience is a huge bowl of pudding with butter chunks that would NOT turn into frosting. Butterpuddingsoup died a painful death in the dumpster. I drove to Superfresh in workout clothes at 7am to buy three tubs of cream cheese frosting (don't judge, Checkout Lady). Problem solved.

They appeared a couple of posts ago, but for completeness, here they are in all their store-bought icing goodness:

Schoko-Kirsch-Cupcakes mit Buttercreme


My second batch was from 1 Tieg, 100 Kuchen.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
#57 Mokka-Cupcakes
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I'm leaving this translation as an exercise for the reader.

#57 Mokka-Cupcakes

These lovely cupcakes have instant coffee in the batter. Thus, if you visited me right this moment, I'd feed you pumpkin spice cookies and your choice of espresso, French press, or instant coffee. I'm prepared.

Don't come over now. I'm about to go to sleep.

100 grams of brown sugar and more instant coffee, besides the usual 300 grams of powdered sugar, 2 Tbsps milk, and 60 grams of butter, make this quite the decadent frosting. It's incredibly sweet. Lick the spoon at your teeth's risk.

The intended garnish is a chocolate-covered espresso bean, but I used 70% dark chocolate I had lying around.

These were another success! As with most of the Backen auf Deutsch recipes, the cake is a bit more dry than I like, so I'd try more milk or butter next time, maybe? Tips, anyone?

With the frosting, however, the cupcake was delicious.

Mokka-Cupcakes

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Changes made:
~Only in the garnish
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Next time would:
~Try to make the batter more moist.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Perfect for:
~Caffeine AND sugar rush!!!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

No comments: